How are you? Today is my birthday aka #Raeday!!!
Wooooh! I’m thankful and excited. I love birthdays. It’s an honor and a privilege to see them. *cue “Never Would Have Made It by Marvin Sapp. It also happens to be my two-year blogaversary!!! Which I can’t really believe. From Rae with Love, the Little Blog that Could, is two years old. It’s been two years! So much has happened since I first began writing From Rae With Love. Funny enough, I’ve only shared a handful of the stories with you.
In my very first post this time two years ago, I shared some lessons I’d learned as of my 36th birthday and then I wanted to share a few thoughts I had on turning 37. This year, I am going to do something a little bit different. I want to share 39 things I want to do before my 39th birthday. Not only does the number of years I’ve spent on this earth astound me, it’s also interesting to see how others handle and deal with it as well. I’ve been watching people who are farther(further? why worry) along on their journey. Some of them are handling the aging process better than others. Mostly I think many of us just weren’t mentally prepared for how the time flies. Not to mention, according to so many others and the rhetorical bullshit that spews out of someone’s mouth, as we approach 40 that’s supposed to mean we’re old? I don’t buy into it. I never have. Aging and growing older (and hopefully wiser) is a beautiful process. From what I can tell, it’s about how we each choose to see it.
I have a who
shitload of stuff I want to do over the next year. They haven’t been listed in any specific order. Each of them is critical to me and the next year. Without further adieu, here’s the 39 x 39:
- Use the mixer my mother got me last year – more..which means I’ll be baking, or making pasta, or grinding meat.
- Create a series of You Tube Videos.
- Submit these short stories for publishing in literary journals.
- Write the short stories I mentioned in #3.
- Take more photos.
- Lose 20% of my current bodyweight.
- Purchase a DSLR camera.
- Create a short film.
- Write a script for a show treatment.
- Tour DC with my friends and act like a tourist. [I’m wearing the colored protective visor and Tevas and shorts and shit]
- Increase my income by 50% + get a new job.
- Eat from 30+ new restaurants (read includes dives, mom & pop stops and food trucks – that’s where the best food is)
- Take a series of photos worthy for a gallery exhibit.
- Add 1000 new followers on twitter.
- Create a new series of blog posts.
- Bake from scratch. [I owe a series of zucchini loaves to a very close friend]
- Cook 25 new dishes I’ve never cooked.
- Purchase and successfully meal plan around a crock pot.
- Buy new furniture that meets my actual home-style now.
- Build a home theater system.
- Create a logo for the website.
- Attend a writers workshop.
- Research (info, interviews etc), write and publish an article or podcast for a major publication.
- Get a tattoo.
- Participate in new twitter chats.
- Have a conversation with a published author I admire.
- Publish a series of stories on Amazon.com.
- Be consistently happy.
- Be less fearful of trying new things.
- Publish one blog post that scares the shit out of me.
- Be on a major panel as a guest.
- Live. Like really have more to tell you so y’all can be all up in my business.
- Be able to achieve certain yoga poses.
- Write handwritten letters and notes to my close friends and family.
- Sew three (3) new projects and create a few new pieces of jewelry.
- Him. [Redacted No. 38 about Rae’s love life]
- Pray more. Hear more. See more. Be more. Love more. [I cheated here but IDC]
Whew!!! There it is – my 39 x 39. Doable? Yes. Now let’s see how much of it I can get done effective immediately. It’s not just about a mad rush of checking things off of a proverbial list, it’s about living and improving my quality of life. There are also so many other things I plan to do within this next year – like buy some skates and roll around the city!! Which brings me to my next announcement…..
I need to take a creative hiatus (aka a creative furlough, a creative retreat).
Relax. Don’t freak out on me and get crazy. The blog isn’t going anywhere. I’m not really going anywhere. I just won’t be posting for a while. For the record, I don’t exactly know how long a while means, however, I do know it will be through the summer.
When you have a personal blog, it becomes increasingly difficult to share certain things. Hills, valleys, good news, life changes and events and whatever else may come along means life tends to take over. Life has taken over which means, I need to just live. That’s what’s most important.
I’m still going to be here. You can still find me on twitter @fromraewithlove. I’m on twitter daily. Otherwise, catch me on the Facebook page for the blog or if you really need to get deep, you can email me at fromraewithlove at gmail dot com. So see, it’s not really that bad. I can be located. I just won’t be blogging.
So you’re wondering what am I planning to do with all of the time I don’t spend blogging? I still plan to write. I have a number of writing projects I need to complete. I have new projects that are just taking off, that I can share later this week. I’m also on the Dr. Vibe show monthly. A few of my blogging friends and I have started a series of Google Hangouts. In other words, I’m still here.
I know I’ve slowed down in the last months. That’s mostly been because I am at a crossroads as a creative, as a writer and as a woman. I’m not in a space to post everything. I also have so many other things planned for the blog, for my life. So basically, it’s time to live and get some things done. Where else do all of these wonderful posts come from? LIFE.
As the good 39 x 39 list reflects, I have a lot of work to do, a lot of living[loving] to do and quite a bit to organize, shift and put into motion.
Check in with me. I still
need want to hear from you. I love emails and tweets. See info above….
BTW, I’m always watching. Trust and believe.
Mother loves you,